Cinderella’s Sweets by David Zsido is a nostalgic look back to Nicholas Stergos Candy Shop, where Mr. Zsido had an after school job as assistant candy maker.
Mr.Stergos opened the store in 1931, inviting a competition to name the premises. The reward, a $20 gold piece was awarded, and the name Cinderella Sweets adopted.
Located on 57 Center Street, it offered many varieties of Candy and was a popular spot for all ages. Mr. Zsdio describes the entire process of making the candy, and the varieties available throughout the seasons.
Mr. Stergos remained active until his retirement in 1971. The building was lost in a fire in 1973 destroying the entire block. Two photos on the back page illustrate this sad event.